35028 "Clan Line" was built at Eastleigh Works and entered service in December 1948. Thus, from the beginning she was always a British Railways engine and hence never carried the livery or markings of the Southern Railway.
The locomotive was outshopped in malachite green and carried this colour until December 1950. During January 1951 the early British Railways Express Passenger Blue livery was applied. It was whilst carrying this colour that she was named on January 15th 1951 by Lord Rotherwick, chairman of the shipping line who's name she carries to this day. June 1953 saw another livery change, this time to her final colour, Brunswick Green. In October 1959, having having run 401,005 miles she was rebuilt at Eastleigh Works.
The following drawings illustrate these liveries and are the work and copyright of Rick Kent. They are reproduced with his kind permission. In order to allow reasonably rapid down load times, the resolution has been reduced from the original by about 3 times.
Malachite Green Dec. 1948 to Dec. 1950
Express Passenger Blue Jan. 1951 to June 1953
Brunswick Green (Original form) June 1953 to October 1959
Brunswick Green (Rebuilt form) October 1959 to Date